site image
site image

History

818 State Street, Manitowoc, WI
920-682-0118 (T)
920-682-4363 (F)


1902 Wencel C. Urbanek and Joe Wattawa founded first funeral home in Manitowoc designed specifically for funeral service

1904 Founding of Urbanek and Wattawa Furniture and Undertaking

1919 Wattawa and Urbanek Furniture and Undertaking 

  • Joe Wattawa, Arnold W. Schlei, and Charles A. Urbanek 

1926 Urbanek and Wattawa Furniture and Undertaking dissolution (Founded in 1904 according to article)

  • W. C. Urbanek purchased store interests
  • Joseph Wattawa purchased undertaking business

1931 Wattawa, Urbanek and Schlei Funeral Home

  • 1936-36 employees

(1920-1973-Length of Charles A. Urbanek’s career)

1945 Urbanek and Schlei Funeral Home---article says 1931

1955 November 9th Street Chapel completed

1973 Urbanek and Schlei Inc. formed when Glenn Pfeffer and David Reinbold purchased Urbanek and Schlei Funeral Home. Charles Urbanek and Arnold Schlei remained on staff during transition, along with assistance from Ralph L. Heiss

1978 October 22-Giant Glenn Pfeffer ad

1985 Listed in obit as Urbanek & Schlei and Reinbold-Pfeffer

1988 Urbanek & Schlei promoted Assembly Bill 983 regarding insurance payments for burial and funeral directors

1992 Listed in obit as Reinbold-Pfeffer and Urbanek & Schlei

1994 Business changes name to Reinbold & Pfeffer Funeral Home

1998 Reinbold & Pfeffer at 818 State Street, Manitowoc and 1124 Main Street, Kellnersville, merged with Jens Family Funeral Home and Crematory to create Jens, Reinbold & Pfeffer Funeral Homes

2000 Faithful Friends Pet Cremation Service added with installation of pet crematory at South 8th Street location


The first settler to the area arrived in 1848. It is difficult to find exact dates, however a letter written in 1935 chronicling the history of Kellnersville offers some insight. The first coffin maker in town was known as “Old Steve Reindl” who lived from 1824-1909. Steve’s legal name was Stephen, his father was also known as Steve Reindl who lived from 1798-1886, so it is unclear which Steve Reindl owned the title or if it was shared between the two gentlemen. The first recorded undertaker in town was Frank Pfeffer who began around the year 1897, although the year 1890 is on record, Frank would have been approximately 13 years old at the time and seems unlikely he would be a business owner at that age.  

Mr. Pfeffer continued as town undertaker until sometime around 1911 when Mr. Joseph (Josef) Wachal and his wife Mary, purchased a tavern, furniture, and undertaking business, hence becoming the new town undertaker. Mr. Wachal passed away on June 8, 1912. After her husband’s death on June 8, 1912, Mary continued to operate all three businesses with a partner, Mr. Emil Husar. Mary Wachal retired in 1936 and in 1948 Emil Husar sold the funeral home business to Edward and Veronica Saur who named their establishment Saur Funeral Home. The Saur’s operated their business for forty-two years from 1948-1990. On January 1, 1990,  Edward and Veronica sold their business to Glenn Pfeffer and David Reinbold, along with Kevin Pfeffer as an associate. In 1994 the business name officially changed to Reinbold & Pfeffer Family Funeral Home.     

In 1998, Reinbold & Pfeffer merged with Jens Family Funeral Home and Crematory to become Jens, Reinbold & Pfeffer Family Funeral Services. In 2000, Faithful Friends Pet Cremation Service was added with the installation of a pet crematory within the Jens location on South 8th Street. In 2019, the company acquired new businesses and in turn, the parent company Lakeshore Family Funeral Homes was born.

© 2021 Lakeshore Family Funeral Homes. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy